Friday 16 March 2012

Why should Sam Collins drive for Nigeria in the GT series?




Sam Collins in Atlanta


What are your achievements as a Motorsport driver?

When I started racing, in 1999 everyone around me was white, apart from the odd Chinese driver. I remember hearing people saying in earshot of me that black people can't drive. I proved them wrong. My first proper year of racing was 2000 driving a Ford Fiesta. I had built the car with friends from college as part of our engineering course and we did a good job on it. I got third (in class) in that years championship. But then the money ran out and I had to be satisfied with karting and a bit of Rallying. That went quite well and along with my Co-Drover Oliver we nearly won the Southern England Championship in 2001 (or was it 2002?) the only reason that we did not was because I did not realise we could win it quite easily and decided not to enter the final event of the season. We had picked up quite a few trophies and enjoyed it but I wanted to race again.

For me racing has never been just about winning races and championship, for me it is about developing technology and from 2003 onwards I did races for a reason, and going for championships was not part of it. I used my driving to develop cars, to test new technologies and even create teams. In 2004 I was involved in forming Europes first all black racing team with a Kenyan rally driver and a Rastafarian from St. Lucia. The aim was not to win but to inspire other black people to go racing. To prove we can do it.

Since then I have raced in all types of car from Le Mans style prototypes, to open wheelers and even on to big V8 engined american stock cars. I have no interest in doing races where its just a bunch of rich kids in identical car - what do you prove?




Why did you choose Motorsport?

Because I thought racing drivers would get all of the pretty girls (seems to work too!). I was a good sprinter and high jumper but it didn't seem to interest the opposite sex!.

For me the blend of man and machine is like nothing else apart from being a fighter pilot, and fighter pilots don't have as much fun.


Ernest Hemingway said it best "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."


What’s next for you?

Well I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Racing Eagle Audi R8. I hope in some of the training races we are planning we can pick up Nigeria's first ever major race win. Then once the team is up and running I can take a bit more of a back seat role and help Nigeria's next top racing drivers develop, I said on a radio show last night that I want to see a Nigerian in F1 in the next ten years. Maybe it will be Ovie! Maybe it will be some kid from Abuja, Lagos or (I hope) Port Harcourt.

Beyond Racing Eagle I am hoping to grow my own business some more, and I'm working on a new design of racing car for developing markets. It could be that someone will build one in Nigeria.

Long term I'd love to see racing in Nigeria take off with every state having its own tracks and championships, then I could come back every now and again and show the young ones how it is done!

My next public event will be at Crystal Palace on the 27th & 28th March, I'd love to have some Nigerian supporters come along!


Why Nigeria Racing Eagle {NRE}?

It is the best way to bring this sport to Nigeria, and on to the rest of Africa. Ribi is a bit of a visionary I think, and he won't let the dream die. I respect that a lot and I like being around people who are willing fight to achieve their goal. It is also a great franchise, I think people will talk about the time when the Racing Eagles came to our town or village.




What do you feel you can contribute to NRE, to Nigeria as a country, to Africa as a continent?


Motor racing is not just a sport it is a big international business, and its is a place to do business. Loads of companies around the world use motor racing as a vehicle to expand to new markets. Look at the growth of Air Asia for example. Africa is being left behind.

I want Nigeria to have something new to be proud of, our reputation internationally is not good, everybody thinks of email scams and the troubles with Boko Haram, things like that. What they should be thinking about is this great nation of thinkers, artists and sportsmen. The Super Eagles could become second to the Racing Eagles, and I think the Racing Eagles could actually win something in the next 5 years!

I have a T-shirt which I wear from time to time, it says - Africa is the Future. It is and Racing Eagle will show that to the rest of the world.



 Anything else you will like your readers to hear about?

Yes - I think anyone running a business of whatever size should get involved with this, Racing Eagle is not just about taking some sexy cars and winning some races. It is about advertising our great nation around the world, and thats a great way to advertise your business too. You meet amazing contacts in this sport, from Prime Ministers and Princes to guys who run a small shop somewhere - they all come together to watch grwat sport and do business.



To find out more about Racing Eagle, opportunities, events and more; join us here:
http://www.facebook.com/nigeriaracingeagle

Audio broadcast link:
http://www.spreaker.com/page#!/user/ukhoneyb/5th_march_2012_news_update


Photos from the last Nigeria Racing event:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f7e2dc8765b8eb3e&id=F7E2DC8765B8EB3E%21107
Photographs by Chris Waite (Chrisw8 Photography) & Akin Photography


About Team Nigeria GT Series Team Nigeria (Racing Eagle) 

GT Series Team Nigeria GT Series is an history in the making as it will be the first Nigeria and Africa Motorsport Team to represent the presence of entire black race at the world stage of Motorsport. Team Nigeria will be competing in International GT3 series, a Grand Touring Series with Audi R8 LMS competing with other prestigious sport cars including McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-Benz, Aston Martin, Ford GT, Porsche and BMW Team Nigeria GT Series will fly the flag of Nigeria, promoting Nigeria and Africa’s image to the world and also gives Nigeria a positive international image, as Nigeria will join the league of elite nations, who use motorsport to showcase and promote their nation. Team Nigeria will use drivers whose nationality is Nigerian and has signed up with United Autosport, a UK based racing team as Official Technical Partner for the team.


Vivacity Pr for Nigeria Racing Eagle



No comments:

Post a Comment